cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [docs] test publish from daisy
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:33:30 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> hepabolu wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> However, as Vadim said (in another mail in this thread) we have to be
>>> careful not to break current links and search engine indexing. This
>>> can be done by forcing the rewriting of links to mirror the existing
>>> structure, but that assumes the existing structure is good. I don't
>>> think it is, some of the stuff in user docs, for example, is valuable
>>> to developers and vice versa.
>>>
>>> An alternative would be to create a set of rewrites to maintain the
>>> existing links.
>>

>> Both opinions are valid IMO: we need "fixed" URLs so we can point to
>> them, but the current structure is also not very good/rather outdated.
>>
>> My proposal is: keep the current docs, aka legacydocs in Daisy, as
>> much "backward compatible" as possible. This will be all the Cocoon
>> 2.1.X documentation we have.
>> Once we start releasing Cocoon 2.2 the 2.1 docs will be "frozen", i.e.
>> the current state of cocoon.apache.org is "archived" (available but
>> not in the loop for automatic updates like 2.0) and all documentation
>> effort will be geared towards 2.2. If this means all links are
>> numerical, so be it, as long as the same number keeps pointing to the
>> same page over time.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> Is there a way to have non-numerical URL in daisy?

Yes, and no.

Daisy completely separates the front-end application (the daisy-wiki)
from the back-end repository.

In the repository it is only possible to have numerical document IDs.
However, in the daisy-wiki it is possible to create non-numerical Id's
for pages. In fact, it is possible for a single page in the repository
to have multiple non-numerical ids. These are defined in the navigation
documents.

So, to reproduce a non-numerical URL space you must retrieve the content
via the daisy-wiki or you must use the navigation document to lookup the
non-numerical ID (knowing which one to use can be a problem, depending
on how the Daisy docs are set up).

Using Forrest, the answer would be to create a Locationmap from the
navigation document, thus mapping non-numeric client URLs to repository
numeric ids (which is essentially what the daisy-wiki does).

Ross