cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Concerns about the Prototype JS library
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:37:12 GMT
Hi all,

I just found a very annoying "feature" of the Prototype library on which
the nice Scriptaculous Ajax stuff is buit. It adds a number of methods
to the Array class to bring more features such as filtering, mapping,
iterating, etc.

Sounds nice at first, but this has the effect of breaking JS code that
iterates on arrays using "for (var i in array_var)", since all
additional methods are now added to the iteration list with the array
indices.

This broke htmlarea which I fixed by replacing the above syntax with the
more java-ish "for (var i = 0; i < array_var.length; i++).

I consider this modification of the well known-contract of a native JS
type a very bad thing, and this makes me consider to possibly use
something else than Scriptaculous. I also raised this issue on their
mailing list ([1] and follow-ups).

A good other candidate is Dojo [2] (no relation with Berin's container)
which is growing fast, is the work of a team rather than a man, and has
a cleaner and more documented code.

Other possible candidates you are aware of ?

Sylvain

[1]
http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails-spinoffs/2005-October/001049.html
[2] http://dojotoolkit.org/