cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [docs] test publish from daisy
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:07:15 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> However, as Vadim said (in another mail in this thread) we have to be
> careful not to break current links and search engine indexing. This can
> be done by forcing the rewriting of links to mirror the existing
> structure, but that assumes the existing structure is good. I don't
> think it is, some of the stuff in user docs, for example, is valuable to
> developers and vice versa.
>
> An alternative would be to create a set of rewrites to maintain the
> existing links.

Both opinions are valid IMO: we need "fixed" URLs so we can point to
them, but the current structure is also not very good/rather outdated.

My proposal is: keep the current docs, aka legacydocs in Daisy, as much
"backward compatible" as possible. This will be all the Cocoon 2.1.X
documentation we have.
Once we start releasing Cocoon 2.2 the 2.1 docs will be "frozen", i.e.
the current state of cocoon.apache.org is "archived" (available but not
in the loop for automatic updates like 2.0) and all documentation effort
will be geared towards 2.2. If this means all links are numerical, so be
it, as long as the same number keeps pointing to the same page over time.

WDYT?

Bye, Helma