cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Portal won't start in trunk
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:35:51 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>But unfortunately the portal is still not working; it seems to me that
>lazy loading really has some problems. The first time I invoke the
>portal I get an obscure NPE, if I reload the page everything works
>perfectly. So it seems that something is not initialized properly. If
>only I would knew what :(

Fixed. The problem was caused by the GroupBasedProfileManager which was
not preloaded and thus wasn't listening for events. This led the portal
temporary attribute (don't know what that is) named
"org.apache.cocoon.portal.profile.impl.AbstractProfileManager/User" not
being initialized, thus the NPE.

The lazy loading brings some interesting performance improvements by
avoiding not only the initialization of components, but also even the
know what components have to be loaded at startup time.

So maybe we should be a bit less lazy, and load the classes to check for
a lifecycle interface (Startable?) to avoid having to specify
preload="true" in the configuration. I'll check this and see the speed
difference.

Sylvain