cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [docs] test publish from daisy
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:28:53 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> hepabolu wrote:

>>> Correct. It looks much slicker than the "official" site, although my
>>> fingers itch to do something about the navigation (CSS wise).
>>

>> Please do :-) Black border around current page is ... strange.
>

> :-), easily fixed.
>

>> Another problem I noticed - all URLs are number.daisy.html - we can't
>> publish these to official website...
>

> Which part(s) are you objecting to?
>
> The number is because daisy uses numbers rather than names to identify
> every page. There are ways around this in either Forrest or Daisy but it
> is quite a bit of work.
>
> Related to this is the hierarchical layour of docs. i.e. there is no
> directory structure. Again this is a "feature" of Daisy (one that I have
> grwon to love). Documents are stored in a "flat" structure. The illusion
> of hierarchy is created by the navigation documents. Currently the
> Forrest plugin does not reproduce this (although it could).
>
> I'm hesitant to address these two issues right now since I want to
> explore using Daisy Books for the published docs navigation systems
> instead.
>
> The daisy.html part is used by Forrest to identify the original source.
> This is the default behaviour of the plugin (which was developed for a
> site that integrates content from many different sources). however, it
> is completely configurable, the URL can be any pattern we want
> (including plain old "id.html")

I still think a flat URL space for documents is a "good thing"(tm). See
wikipedia.

As for non-numeric, well, I personally like numeric, because otherwise
it forces you to have a language identifier (again, see wikipedia) and
disambiguation pages, but given that we won't have 300K pages, I do
agree that makes the user experience a little more comfortable.

--
Stefano.