cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira>
Subject Re: Removing author tags (again)
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:02:32 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>> What has stopped us is that we need to keep a track of these to  give
>>> credit. And also show to the world the incredibly large  developer
>>> group we are :-)
>> But if you give credit without a connection to parts of the code it's
>> just a list of the committers (more or less)
>> If you *have* a connection people will look people up in there...
>> So either remove them or don't. But giving credit besides the
>> community credits does not make much sense to me.
>> *shrug*
>> cheers
>> --
>> Torsten
> 1. It is my recollection that Apache Legal recommended removing the
> author tags.
> 2. With maven every block can have the list of committers who
> participate in the block in its pom.xml.  In addition, assuming it is
> still supported in maven 2, each block can have a changes.xml (which is
> equivalent to status.xml).
> This should be enough to give the appropriate credit, IMO.

I would say that we credit _actions_ not _ownership_. So, when someone
comes along and fixes something, we credit them, saying "so and so fixed
such and such". And the place for that is in the status/changes file,
much as we do today.

Other than that, a single list of comitters on the project should be
enough, as they are the people who have the general responsibility for
the code base, above having carried out specific actions.

Regards, Upayavira

View raw message