cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:01:43 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Jaka Jaksic <jaka.jaksic <at> telemach.net> writes:
>
>>But even then you realize that accessing the natural functionality (and power)
>>of Cocoon is often very difficult, because there is no obvious API and no
>>function library to access the core functionality.
>
> BTW, this is the most negative issue with Cocoon at least one person has (I
> don't mean myself and I don't want to speak in his name, so leave him
> anonymous): Cocoon does not really provide an API you can program to.

We have bunch of solid APIs - take G/T/S, Reader, Matcher/S/A for example, whole
Avalon set of interfaces and components, etc.

Problem I guess is that those are not documented anywhere near good enough. Is
there anything more than [1]? Berin's documentation work should help in this area.

> Take even
> such a simple task as accessing session/request/etc.

ObjectModelHelper appears several times [2] [3]. Note also how [2] is present in
2.0 but not in 2.1...

Vadim

[1]
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html#Interface+specifications