cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r312968 - in /cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X: ./ src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl/validity/ src/java/org/apache/cocoon/i18n/ src/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/ src/webapp/WEB-INF/ src/webapp/samples/i18n/translations/
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:32:24 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>> ...shouldn't this only be changed in trunk instead of in branch?
>

> IMHO, if OOMEs and severe usability issues are not fixed in branch,
> then trunk won't ever be used by anybody, isn't it?
>
> Vadim

There has got to be a typo of some sort in your statement. I'm assuming
you meant one or both of the following:
1. If we keep adding stuff in the branch noone will use trunk.
2. If we don't add them in the branch then we will force people to use
trunk.

Both of these amount to the same thing and I don't agree.  I don't have
any projects "on the fence" - i.e. nothing deliverable in the next
several months.  If I did I would certainly go with 2.1.8.  OTOH, since
my projects will be early next year I am already preparing folks for the
transition - upgrading to Maven 2, etc, because I want to take advantage
of the packaging improvements as well as all the things that have not
been ported back to 2.1.

I'll use Maven as an example. Maven 1 is still in strong use with some
1.x work still going on - yet here we are focusing in on Maven 2 even
though it still is in beta. Why? Because we want the features.

In other words, the new features in 2.2 and the fact that we are
formalizing its release will, IMO, be enough to get people to switch.
If they aren't then we have completely missed the mark.

Ralph