cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Clarifying classloading in 2.2 [was Re: Classloader changes]
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:37:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>>AFAIU this is the usecase that makes OSGi shine. Shall we really implement this?
>>

> Can you please elaborate a little bit on this? Of course, if there is
> already something helping us we should use it.

The problem is, that going for what you propose would mean that each block has
to get its own classloader. In Amsterdam we only talked about *one global*
classloader for Cocoon, but maybe I'm wrong here.

When blocks will become OSGi bundles, OSGi will use the meta inforamtion in
META-INF/manifest.mf to setup a correct classloader with

  - the internal classes
  - the internal libraries
  - all required bundles/packages (= resolving dependencies)

and the  for a block/bundle.

My point only is that we should keep things simple (= one global classloader)
for 2.2, use M2 and its dependency resoluation mechanisms to ensure that we get
the correct JARs and we shouldn't reimplement what OSGi already offers.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc