cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Clarifying classloading in 2.2 [was Re: Classloader changes]
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:54:57 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>In addition, we could define extra class paths in web.xml (containing
>>directories/jars I think) which were added to the class path as well
>

> IIRC, those were *not* added to the classpath, but on the contrary - it was a
> way to indicate to the java compiler (used in xsp, for example) about any
> classpath which was set in the container.

Ah, yes, you're right! Thanks!

> For example, if you have some extra lib in the tomcat/common/lib, it is visible
> to Cocoon but java compiler does not know about it, hence the need to specify
> extra class path elements.
>
> This can be avoided if javac knew how to work with class loader - as jdt does.

So, as we are using jdt, we can remove these settings, right?

>>In addition I think we should always use the paranoid class loader to
>>avoid class loading problems.
>

> I don't like using paranoid class loader always. I prefer current situation
> where you can choose what you need.

Hmm, yes, but with real blocks you have paranoid class loading anyway.
Each block will use the exact jars it depends on.
Now, I think the paranoid class loader does do more good than harm, so I
think we should just use it. What situations do you have in mind where
the paranoid class loader would not work for you?

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/