cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Roadmap for Cocoon Blocks
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 05:31:46 GMT

In Amsterdam at the GT Daniel gave a presentation
(http://cocoongt.hippo12.castaserver.com/cocoongt/daniel-fagerstrom-blocks-2.pdf)
about Cocoon blocks and one of his slides contained a roadmap for Cocoon blocks.
This roadmap was discussed in the breaks and AFAICT is was widely accepted. Of
course this doesn't mean that this is community consensus as not all have had
the chance to comment on this yet.

So here is the roadmap and let's discuss it "officially" on the mailing list:

- Cocoon 2.2 will not use OSGi but will support blocks as far as possible:
    - blocks protocol (= sitemap blocks)
    - a block gets its own component manager that contains all local components
      and gets the block component managers of all wired blocks as parent.
    - we use M2 as build and deployment tool (needs some special M2 plug-ins
      for the deployment part)
    - blocks are distributed as binaries
    - blocks are *not* spread over different directories during deployment
    - a block can contain classes in [block]/BLOCK-INF/classes that are added
      to the context classloader

    --> this means that everything, that real blocks promise, works except the
        shielding of Java classes.

- Cocoon 3.0 will use OSGi --> shielding classloader and hot plugablillity

Although Daniel has emphasized this many times I want to repeat it: We don't
need to branch trunk for this roadmap. OSGi development can be done in parallel
and we can avoid the unsatisfying situation of maintaining two branches.

Of course future development can show that this or that is not possible or
should be done differently (who knows now, if OSGi will really make it) but IMO
it's nice to have a goal and something that we can communicate to other projects
that depend on Cocoon so that they have enough time to adapt their design decisions.

WDOT?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc