cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Binaries for next releases
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:37:24 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> TBH, I don't like these kind of experiments. On the one hand it's
> mostly a gut feeling, on the other as long as I don't have the
> absolute need for it (= I can't solve a problem without it) I wouldn't
> use it.

Certainly there is nothing in Java 5 that can't be coded around, but
autoboxing, generics and the enhanced for statement simply make nicer
code. Generics will obviously create better code since it is now
possible to restrict collections to a single object type.

Whether we do this now or not, it is certainly a viable way to move to
Java 5 in the future while maintaining compatibility with JDK 1.4. Once
we are shipping binaries again it should not matter if Cocoon must be
compiled with Java 5.

Ralph