cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [QVote] Configurable default for sitemap reloading
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:07:42 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On 10.10.2005, at 20:05, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>
>>> ...or am I really mistaken?
>>>

>> JNI calls are always expensive, and in some scenarios (IIRC, on Mac
>> OS X it is *very* expensive to do File.getCanonicalName) it can be
>> even worse.
>>
>> And if you take site of middle complexity, and take into account  all
>> sitemap aggregations, XSLT includes, and so on, you can end up  with
>> dozens of JNI file system accesses for *each* request.
>>
>> Here, either delayed validity or complete turn off of checking  helps
>> a lot.
>

> I know :)
>
> But we already delay the checking and therefor heavily
> reduce the native filesystem checks ...and I was just
> playing devil's advocate here.

Are we?

   * XSLTProcessorImpl uses source validity / aggregate validity,
     I don't see any delays in there.

   * Cocoon.java has hardcoded delay
       // FIXME: add a configuration option for the refresh delay.
       // for now, hard-coded to 1 second.

   * JXTemplate does not have any delay at all

   * XSP, etc.

And as Carsten mentioned, MountNode overrides reload setting passed from root
sitemap, so if nothing is specified on MountNode, you always get default (true)
instead of default from parent sitemap.

> So how many people (despite Carsten) are actually using it?

I agree it's chicken/egg problem. With 'run modes' more people will use it.

Vadim