cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Clarifying classloading in 2.2 [was Re: Classloader changes]
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:58:57 GMT
I hope that we can remove some of the old class loader/class path
handling in 2.2 and make everything simpler.

In 2.1.x we had a boolean parameter (in web.xml) which could be used to
set the Cocoon class loader (the one used to instantiate Cocoon) as the
thread context class loader.

In addition, we could define extra class paths in web.xml (containing
directories/jars I think) which were added to the class path as well and
finally we have parameters to force load classes (e.g. for jdbc drivers).

With real blocks I think we should always add our class loader as the
thread context CL (this is the current implementation) and we should
forget about defining additional class paths.
I'm not sure about the force loading stuff.

In addition I think we should always use the paranoid class loader to
avoid class loading problems. A common problem are either Xalan and
Xerces where you forgot to put the latest version (used by Cocoon) into
the endorsed lib. Or if the application server uses his own version of
let's say commons-logging/log4j and you want to use a different one in
Cocoon.

So, the most important question is: does using an own class loader
inside a web app work in all engines, is it allowed, and is it allowed
to set the thread context CL?

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/