cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QVote] Configurable default for sitemap reloading
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:27:34 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone mind if I add a setting that is used as the default value
>>>for sitemap reloading? Currently you can specify on each mount if the
>>>sitemap is checked for changes. Now changing this for each and every
>>>sitemap is really annoying and as we are all lazy, I think just adding a
>>>default I can simply switch on startup of Cocoon using our new property
>>>mechanism would help.
>>>So, if a mount does not have a value for check reload, the default is
>>>used (which is currently always true), if it has a value this one is used.
>>>

>>IMO it doesn't even make sense to have this setting available in the
>>sitemap engine, as *all* other files used by Cocoon at runtime are
>>automatically reloaded by Cocoon if changed.
>>
>>Now I'm +1 for removing the "check-reload" attribute on <map:mount/>
>>

>Ok, so you always want to check for changes even in production? I would
>prefer to turn off *all* checking in production by just using a property.
>So what do you think of using a "global" check for reload property that
>is checked by all components that do reloading (sitemap engine, flow etc)?

Makes sense. IIRC this was already mentioned in the past when we
discussed "source store", i.e. a source-oriented front-end to the store
that allows objects read from sources (stylesheets, sitemaps, forms,
templates, etc) to be more memory-friendly by being kept in the store
rather than in private caches.

The reloading policy would then be implemented in this "source store"
component, once for all components that use it. This allows also to
centrally implement the reload delay that also exists on the sitemap,
and which directs the system to check for modification only
periodically, thus reducing the number of filesystem hits under load.

Now this requires quite a number of changes, so let's keep a global
"check-reload" for the sitemap and condiser source stores after 2.1.8.

Sylvain