cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Reality Check (was Re: [SHRT] Cocoon on Rails Application Component Kernel (CRACK))
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:25:05 GMT
In this thread, we have the perfect example both of what makes Cocoon
great and its own achiles heel.  The initial proposal here was to make a
new type of sitemap that mimics the Ruby on Rails pattern of Convention
over Configuration.  It even had some nice approaches to flexing some of
Cocoon's strengths with the improved layout code.  I purposely skipped
over the details of the model approach becuase it is a whole can of
worms that can be better tackled later.

What happened is that some of our faithful Cocooner's saw the missing
piece in the proposal and started discussing how to fix it, and are
getting into alot of detail.  The problem is that the same quotes from
Anonio's presentation are being forgotten:

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo da Vinci (my
personal favorite)

Albert Einstein

"Out of intense complexities intense simplicities emerge." Winston Churchill

To be honest, I am not happy with any of the Java Object to Relational
Database binding libraries out there.  However, it is not the problem to
focus on at this juncture.  The first part is to get the convention
working for the new sitemap implementation.  After that, we can start
tackling the more difficult aspects of the framework simplification.

In the Java world, everyone has their favorite database abstraction.
Why do we need to force the user's hand at this time?

Let's worry less about perfection and worry more about some simple
changes that have huge payoffs.  Once we have the basics down, we can
tackle some of the more difficult aspects.