cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] contrib directory
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:13:32 GMT
hepabolu wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>>> We talked about that this morning with Jeremy at the GT: how about
>>> creating a "contrib" directory in our repository, for stuff that we
>>> want to stay available, without being directly tied to our releases.
>>>
>>> This could contain:
>>> -example apps like bricks-cms
>>> -blocks that we'd like to remove from 2.2 yet keep around, but
>>> without any guarantees
>>> -useful tools: raccoon, etc.
>>> -more?
>>>
>>> Decoupling this stuff from releases would make it easier to release
>>> more often, and draw a better line between critical, fully supported
>>> stuff and more experimental or legacy stuff.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>> -Bertrand
>>

> +1, but there's also a "sandbox"

where?

> and "scratchpad"

The scratchpad block is not such a good idea IMO. It put together
various things that not belong together. It would IMO be better to
replace it with a couple of blocks in contributed or whiteboard, each
with a well defined concern area.

> and "whiteboard",

Whiteboard is supposed to be used for personal experiments. You can
start to do things in whiteboard without needing the community to
approve it. I think we should emphasize the "one man show" aspect of
projects in white board by prefixing them with the developer creating
them, e.g. whiteboard/danielf/osgi. That will also make it easier to
remove them for people who leave the community.

> so make sure they have well defined intentions or they should be
> removed to avoid confusion.

contributed would be for blocks that we want to be available from us but
doesn't have much community support. IMO a rather large share of our
current blocks would belong to contributed.

/Daniel