cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS-UP] IRC support?
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:26:58 GMT
Christoph Hermann wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2005 00:39 schrieb Antonio Gallardo:
>
>Hello,
>

>>>And hey, you get really good support on IRC when you have enough time to
>>>wait :)
>>>

>>I though we were against providing IRC support. Because it is exactly
>>the same as providing private support. We find your self giving the same
>>answer over and over, no archives and so on.
>>

>Yes of course, thats true.
>But its more "live", communication is faster and when you want to solve a
>problem within the next 5-15Minutes i would go to irc (actually i'm often
>there, also to support others if i can) because i don't expect everyone to
>read the mailing list every 5minutes. If someone is on IRC he might be able
>to answer the question very fast.

The problem of IRC is related to its benefit: it's a synchronous media,
just like phone. It's difficult to have some real work get done when on IRC.

Mail is asynchronous. This doesn't mean that discussion is slow
(although it's slower than IRC), but that you choose the moment when you
want to look at it, even if it's every 5 minutes. It's therefore
possible to concentrate while still discussing with others.

Sylvain