cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classloading in blocks [was; Binaries for next releases]
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:33:33 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Sunday 09 October 2005 01:43, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>I'm working on the classloader
>>part so that a block can come with its own classes.
>

> Curious to know what this is... or if it is a matter of lack of understanding
> of the OSGi classloader.
>
> Is there any additional classloading needs that can't be satisfied with the
> OSGi classloader mechanism?? Would indeed be interesting to know for the
> Felix development as well.

At the GT we had some kind of agreement, at least after Daniels presentation on
blocks, that we go for a two-step roadmap to get 'real' blocks*:

- Cocoon 2.2 will not use OSGi but will support blocks as far as possible:
   - blocks protocol (= sitemap blocks)
   - a block gets its own component manager that contains all local components
     and gets the block component managers of all wired blocks as parent.
   - we use M2 as build and deployment tool (needs some special M2 plug-ins
     for the deployment part)
   - blocks are *not* spread over different directories during deployment
   - a block can contain classes in [block]/BLOCK-INF/classes that are added
     to the context classloader

   --> this means that everything, that real blocks promise, works except the
       shielding of Java classes.

- Cocoon 3.0 will use OSGi

So the answer to your question: We need this classloading only to load classes
from within 2.2 blocks. 3.0 will make this 2.2 classloading stuff obsolete
(hehe, my favorite word these days).

--
Reinhard