cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Fat Test
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:04:19 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> With a serious diet and an improved build system, cocoon could lose half
> of its weight and generate webapps that are much more friendly for
> smaller sites or for inclusion in places where size is an issue.
>
> But even when size is not an issue, having smaller webapps helps in
> making users perceive what core functionality the cocoon framework gives
> them and what is add-on, something that we were never very good at
> marketing.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yepp, we are currently working on exactly this with the maven build of
2.2. So with the m2 build system we will not ship libs that we just need
for compilation anymore, like our version of Xalan and so on.

We will also strip down the core, reducing the size and the required
libs even more. And this then will lead to different distributions, like
a minimum core dist, a big "show us everything one", and perhaps more.

And finally, building your webapp will be easy as well, you will just
say, "include this block" in your maven descriptor and the rest is done
by maven.

So, we know where we want to go, we know how it can be done, there are
no real technical problems anymore. All is missing, is just doing it :)

And I agree, not having the "jx" transformer/generator in the core
anymore is really annoying. If you forget to include the template block
it breaks your application immediately. But I hope we will fix this, as
well.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/