cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject [Docs] Semi-automatic update process of the Cocoon documentation
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:16:13 GMT
After talks to several people I feel we need a semi-automatic update
process of the Cocoon documentation to cocoon.apache.org.

Several reasons:
- frequent updates show users that there is concern about their
documentation wishes. We might even write documentation that answers
FAQs and point the users to that, rather than rewriting the information
on the mailing list.
- semi-automatic updates avoid the reinvention of the wheel for every
committer trying to update the website and avoid the errors that created
the current crippled site.
- the current Daisy on the cocoon.zones contains the most recent version
of the documentation and provides an easier way of adding and updating
the documentation.
- with the current update of Daisy, Daisy books have become available
and allow the documentation to be exported as a book in both HTML and PDF.

New process:
- set up a small Cocoon branding website in the current xdocs section
with only a few pages that contain relative static content. Compare it
to the Springframework website.
- These pages contain links to the actual reference documentation which
are available as Daisy book in both HTML (for browsing on the website)
and in PDF (for downloading and printing).
- on cocoon.zones a Forrest configuration is setup with all the tweaks
necessary to get the job done.
- a script is created that can do the Daisy books export, do the Forrest
conversion and the upload on the cocoon.apache.org site and all the
necessary steps in between.
- the end result of the script is that the documentation is available as
a complete website on cocoon.apache.org AND for inclusion in the next
Cocoon release.
- a secured "button" is available for committers to start this script.
Whether it is available as a password protected page, a ssh command or
whatever.
- a notification can be sent to the dev-list when the site update hasn't
been done in X days.

WDYT?

It would be good to get the end result as described (but manual, rather
than semi-automatic for now) ASAP for inclusion in the upcoming 2.1.8
release.

Bye, Helma