cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Release 2.2alpha1 just before GT?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:11:54 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> We have to remove knoplerfish for the release, or?
>>

>> yes, we're not allowed to release a OSGI R3 implementation.
>

> Why? Knopflerfish has a BSD-style licence. Or is it because of OSGi
> itself?

Because of OSGi R3 itself.

> If so, why are KF or Oscar allowed to distribute an OSGi
> implementation and we would not be allowed to redistribute it?

The R3 licence doesn't prevent you from doing it. The problem is that it
is to weak, so that it doesn't contain some of the protection that ASL
gives you. This was discussed during the creation of the Felix project
and IIRC, people from legal where involved, so I think it is a definite
statement.

The Eclipse people had the same problem, so because of that the OSGi R4
is released under the Eclipse licence that is compatible with ASL.

So we can't release anything based on R3, we need to switch to an R4
framework before we can release anything.

/Daniel