cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Release 2.2alpha1 just before GT?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:04:59 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> I would suggest that unless we have some form of "real blocks"
>>> working that it remain in trunk and not go into a 2.2 branch.
>>

>> We shouldn't branch. It should be enough to exclude o.a.c.core.osgi,
>> the knopflerfish libraries and the osgi-servlet bundle when creating
>> the distribution. We could also move o.a.c.core.osgi from the Cocoon
>> core to some other bundle if it simplfies the release work.
>>
>> My view is that we can incrementally introduce experimental versions
>> of the parts of the block architecture that doesn't depend on OSGi in
>> the 2.2.x releases.
>>
>> /Daniel
>

> Thank may be ok for now, but once 2.2 is "formally" released how do
> you keep it stable without creating a branch.  We should be able to
> add new and interesting stuff to the trunk without affecting the
> supported release.
>
> Ralph

That was the argument for the current two branches, which resulted that
the current trunk doesn't get tested by the community and therefore not
as stable as it could be.

I think we should postpone any branching until one of those new and
interesting shows up, and see if branching is necessary then. And if we
branch we must have a plan for how to get to a state when we can merge
again.

/Daniel