cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Lazy mode (was Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:35:19 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Interesting question. If we ship with dev mode on, many people will
> deploy in dev mode. On the other hand, if we ship in production mode,
> many people won't see the features of dev mode.
>
> A solution is to ship in dev mode, but ensure that people know they're
> in dev mode. With a big splash, either in the console, in a transient
> Swing window (appear for 5 seconds and disappear) or why not as the
> first page displayed in the browser.

The Ruby on Rails solution is to use an environment variable that
defaulted to "Development".  In production the environment variable
would be set on the server to "Production".  For the unit tests, the
generators automatically run in "Test" mode.  Now, I know that Java 5
has the re-introduction of environment variables, and we still need Java
1.4 support--so some sort of equivalent would be decent.

The solution works amazingly well.