cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Lazy mode (was Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:02:23 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Kewl! If it's based on the 2.2 branch, you may reduce startup time by
>> adding JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dorg.apache.cocoon.core.LazyMode=true" in the
>> launch script (BTW, should we make this the default?)
>

> IMO Yes.  Anything that helps us work more efficiently should be default.

Agree, but on the other hand, this lazy-loading of components mean that
some buggy declarations will not be detected at startup time, which
would be better in a production environment.

This leads again to the discussion about "running modes" [1] where some
developer-oriented features (e.g. lazy startup, cocoon stacktraces on
screen, client-side alerts in Ajax libraries) would only be enabled in
development mode. IIRC, ruby on rails has this kind of modes too.

Now, considering how many things are loaded at runtime in Cocoon
(sitemaps, XSLs, templates, etc), we can just consider that components
are just yet another thing loaded at runtime and set lazy mode as the
default one.

Thoughts, especially about running modes?

Sylvain