cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [jetty-discuss] Microsoft IE7 compromise of session security
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:08:02 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Tony Collen wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it's time we make Cocoon automatically pull the continuation
>>> ID  from a session tied to a cookie.
>>

>> That won't work as a continuation is related to the page displayed in
>> the browser rather than to the browser itself, as is a cookie.
>>
>> I'm with Reinhard: let's tie continuations to sessions, which should
>> be fine for 99.9% of the use cases. Even if the continuation ID is in
>> the URL, it won't be accessible without the session id cookie.
>
> That functionality is already available but not enabled by default
> because it enforces session creation.

Yes, I know that, and that's what I meant: let's make it the default.
Continuations are server-side state anyway so I don't really see the
problem with enforcing session creation when continuations are used.

Note also that load-balancing schemes are often based on session
affinity, meaning if you use continuations without sessions, there is a
non-negligible probability that a request to continue a flowscript will
go to different server than the one that created it!

Sylvain