cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Components in blocks
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:12:49 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> I have continued the work that Sylvain started on ECM++ - OSGi service
> bridge, and have some questions.

Great!

> I start with a simpler one about component configuration. The idea is
> that the block.xml have an optional component section which declares
> the components that the block exports (see webapp/WEB-INF/block.xml
> for an example). One can use the attribute exported="false" for
> private components. The reason for not using the component section of
> the sitemap for declaring the components that the block exports is
> that blocks doesn't have to contain a sitemap, some are "component
> only" blocks.
>
> As the "sitemap components" of a block in most cases also should be
> exported, so that they can be used in other blocks, the components in
> the webapp sample sitemap and in WEB-INF/sitemap-additions also need
> to be included from the repective block.xml. As it is a waste of
> resources to declare them again in the container of the main sitemap
> of the blocks it means that I want to move all components of the main
> sitemap in the sample webapp and all components
> inWEB-INF/sitemap-additions to the respective WEB-INF/xconf. Is this
> OK, or are there any problems? If it is OK, I do it ASAP for the
> webapp samples.

Sounds reasonable, and won't change things much: components are kept in
a separate file, and it's just the include location that changes, right?

>                      --- o0o ---
>
> Another question is about ECM++ - OSGi service bridge. The idea with
> the bridge, as you might remeber, is that the the block has an ECM
> container that exports its components as OSGi services (see
> o.a.c.core.osgi.OSGiCoreServiceManager). This container has a parent
> container (o.a.c.core.osgi.OSGiServiceManager), that translates ECM
> lookups for components not defined in the block to OSGi service
> lookups that will get the components from another block.
>
> The OSGi services must be singletons, so ThreadSafe components can be
> exported and thanks to Carstens poolable proxy
> (o.a.c.core.container.handler.PoolableComponentHandler) also Poolable
> can be exported, but SingleThreadedComponents are not singltons and
> cannot be exported yet. For the components in cocoon-core.xconf all
> components could be exported except for FOM_JavaScriptInterpreter, the
> output modules and the PartSourceFactory, who are SingleThreaded.

I refactored PartSourceFactory it so that is is now ThreadSafe. I also
had a quick look at the output modules, and it seems that none of them
has a state, meaning they could be made ThreadSafe as well.

> The question is how to solve it. Some of the SingleThreaded could
> probably be made ThreadSafe or Poolable, for the rest we could maybe
> have some kind of proxy. Ideas?

FOM_JavaScriptInterpreter must be kept SingleThreaded because, although
being actually reentrant, each sitemap must be given a single instance.
For this particular case, we can change to a factory pattern, the
factory being threadsafe.

Sylvain