cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:02:54 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> One other significant point to the many arguments as to why Cocoon is
> *not* obsolete is that a rich client requires higher bandwidth. We
> tend to think that bandwidth is limitless and cheap, and to many of us
> it is getting that way. However, for a large section of the world,
> those on the other side of the Digital Divide, bandwidth is
> *extremely* expensive and limited.

Yes, just ask me, I am paying US$99.00 (also add 15% tax) monthly for
just 512 kbps now [1]. :-(

I don't wanted to add the bandwidth use as an issue, because it really
depends on how we do the client. A really advantage of rich clients is
that they (under some cirscunstances) don't need all the "document
styling stuff" embedded in the page as the current browsers need. As a
sample, lets see how a query to a DB server can use more or less
bandwidth. It depends on how we ask the content:

"SELECT * FROM a_huge_table; --> resulting in millions of records
throught the poor bandwidth! Too bad!

or just: "SELECT * FROM my_huge_table [LIMIT x] [OFFSET y]" --> with
this we are able to skip "y" rows and send only "x" rows through the
bandwidth. A lot better!

This was already solved by LAN rich clients long time ago. I believe
similar behaviors can be used in the new web world of rich clients for
other formats, hence sending just a fragment of a huge document.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[1] See: http://www.cablenet.com.ni/aboutus/servicios/highspeed.html