cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Continuation invalidation strategies
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:16:03 GMT
reinhard@apache.org wrote:
> Author: reinhard
> Date: Sun Oct  2 05:32:38 2005
> New Revision: 293102

> Log:
> make ContinuationsManagerImpl extensible so that it is possible to implement your own
continuations invalidation strategy

Has anybody else experienced memory problems when using continuations? It's not
a memory leak per se but a problem if there are too many active continuation
trees. All objects that are linked to a continuation tree can only be garbage
collected when the *last continuation* of a tree has expired.
If you implement a flow that uses some heavy-weight business objects and you
can't put them into global variables you soon run into problems if this flow is
executed many times by your users.

So I started to experiment with different continuation invalidation strategies
than the the dfeault time-based one.

I started with a first strategy that keeps only one active continuation tree per
user (thanks to Leszek and his work on the session-based continuation holders
this was very simple). Another strategy could be that there is only a certain
number of active continuations allowed per user. Or a third option that I could
think of is that only one tree per flow (function) is allowed per user.

Do these different invalidation strategies make sense at all? If yes, are others
interested in seeing them in our code base? WDYT?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Was denken Sie über E-Mail? Wir hören auf Ihre Meinung: http://surveylink.yahoo.com/wix/p0379378.aspx