cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: OSGi Bundles, Re: svn commit: r292305
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:40:03 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Saturday 01 October 2005 20:11, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>>Yes we talk about block deploy time parameters. These should IMO be
>>handled with a OSGi configuration service. But that might be something
>>that we implement later.
>>

>Ok. Then a I agree with your conclusion.
>And this area is for me very important for non-Cocoon reasons. If you have any
>generic thoughts of how to for server apps, I am all ears. Have thought
>myself to go via a http/html interface, but that seems so hacky and would
>only do for a in-house solution.

My thoughts in this area is rather schetchy. My idea is to use a
configuration service together with the metatype service. Knopflerfish
have an implementation of the metatype service that declares the
configurable properties with XML Schema
http://www.knopflerfish.org/XMLMetatype/, then you can put the schema
and an XML document fullfilling the schema in a bundle and use special
manifest attributes for pointing at the schema and the default values.
The metatype service in R4 is schema driven like the Knopflerfish one,
don't know if there are any open source implementations yet.

Knopflerfish desktop and console have support for configuration that is
based on the schema and the default values. If you use the desktop you
can modify the parameters through the GUI. This could be usefull when
developing an app.

For server use it is impractical with interactive parameter
modification. Here we could develop a configuration file driven
configuration service implementation. That either use a large
configuration file that configures everything in the app or a set of
configuration snippets, for making configuration less monolithic.

/Daniel