cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap for Cocoon Blocks
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:03:40 GMT
On Thursday 13 October 2005 01:19, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > I hope the Cocooners can work all of this out, as the motivation
> > for me to use
> > Cocoon diminishes by the days, as it gets easier and easier to do
> > stuff in
> > competing platforms that only made sense in Cocoon previously.
>
> ...like?
>
> Just curious...

I hope I am not getting in to trouble for trying out other stuff ;o)

A few weeks ago we started on a new internal back-burner project, and needed
some forms, user auhorization, multiple L&F depending on user, and PDF
reports from JDO-backed database. A few months ago, I would not even think
before throwing Cocoon at the problem.
Due to need to learn Wicket for another external upcoming project, we gave it
a go.
It was scarily simple, and considering their use of plain and pure HTML as
templating, typesafety all over the place, 1:1 checks for components in code
vs components on page, no XML and easy to programmatically hook JasperReports
straight into the reponse stream, I was indeed impressed. And that was from
starting from scratch. Does it really scale upwards? How about endless
support of UserAgents?? Performance under heavy load?  Sorry - I don't know.
Just saying the answers are no longer given, even if you know Cocoon pretty
well. I am a Java programmer, and it is faster for me to hack up 100 lines of
code than it is to get a combo of XML and JavaScripts operational. I love the
compiler :o)

Now, compare that with Cocoon anno 2001. Far ahead of its time. The
orthogonality of concerns were remarkable for its time. The competition was
essentially CGI, SSI, JSP and hard coded servlets. Cocoon rose with the
external dependencies of Batik, FOP and many others over time, which made
Cocoon a unique center-piece in content aggregation.

Cheers
Niclas