cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi Bundles, Re: svn commit: r292305
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 05:04:05 GMT
On Sunday 02 October 2005 00:40, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> The metatype service in R4 is schema driven like the Knopflerfish one,
> don't know if there are any open source implementations yet.

Ok. Then I need to take a look at that.

> For server use it is impractical with interactive parameter
> modification. Here we could develop a configuration file driven
> configuration service implementation. That either use a large
> configuration file that configures everything in the app or a set of
> configuration snippets, for making configuration less monolithic.

This is an area I am struggling with conviction at the moment.
OSGi is built on the premise that a platform restart will bring back the last
"known state", including the Configuration set for a ManagedService.

If I dared to make this a reality, the interactive config actually makes
sense;
 1. The ManagedService exposes its expected configuration in its registration,
    by publishing the defaults for everything.

 2. The Config service manages the persistence.

 3. One or many Config Admin services can be created to modify the
    configuration in runtime, and the Config service will track it correctly.

I guess a "Export" functionality in the Config Admin service would be needed
to allow to restore the configuration after a real "cold start" (removal of
OSGi cache directories).

I am just not comfortable at the moment to let OSGi start from 'previously
known state'... Guess I don't have faith in my own bundles. :o)

Cheers
Niclas