cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:42:45 GMT
On Sunday 02 October 2005 04:51, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Are you mentioning the ability to add RDF metadata to our real blocks
> (as, ehm, mozilla does) or about the ability to deal and manage RDF data
> directly in cocoon?

You started, I think about 5 years ago, talking about that Cocoon should/could
become the catalyst between the ordinary web and the semantic web. Plans were
discussed where orthogonal RDF views of the URL space was produced by Cocoon,
with little effort from the content publisher. I know this is 'possible', but
not "with little effort".

Perhaps there wasn't enough interest for it to take hold, and perhaps I am one
of the guilty ones there (bad timing I guess). Perhaps not enough
infrastructure existed or perhaps it was just not possible...

At the time, it sounded like a huge step forward away from "search-hell", and
instead we got Google :o) .

> There is a lot of work to do to bring the RDF and the XML
> world closer... unfortunately, there is resistance in both.

I am aware of that. FWIW, working on an experimental OSS project using RDF at
the moment, and although we still publish the RDF using XML, we use N3 in
discussions, and I think we will move to publish in N3 as well real soon
(still early and don't need to worry about compatibility). It works better
for _us_ than XML.

Cheers
Niclas