cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:21:00 GMT
On Saturday 01 October 2005 05:57, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> How do you feel about this?

I think you have a few strong points, as do the others.

When Cocoon first materialized, its concepts were fairly revolutionary and
advanced for its time. IMHO, too much focus on Cocoon has been "add this
feature" (webapp dev, forms, scripting, hundreds of transformers and
serializers, et cetera) and not enough on modularization of the design.
(Not the mentioning of 'What happened to the RDF promise in Cocoon??')

This has slowed the Cocoon evolution down to a point where it has been
overtaken by many competing technologies.
I don't believe in Cocoon in its current shape at all, and the current OSGi
effort is a do-or-die thingy. If successful, it may be possible to revitalize
Cocoon into a modern tool in this new brave world of more client-side
interactivity, which I am certain is needed.

I am not sure "Right now FireFox is a step ahead, but IE will catch
up. They're not likely to regress anyway." as Leo put it. M$ is a always
unpredictable and EEE capable (embrace, extend, extinguish). Not totally
unlikely that a similar totally incompatible way will emerge in IE, so I
would not bet my company on this at the moment.

Strong server-side platforms will continue to be needed, but their shape,
scope and nature will most certainly shift. So the question should instead
be; Can Cocoon shift into the future?

Cheers
Niclas