cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bricks example app in our whiteboard, WDYT?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:07:10 GMT
Le 19 sept. 05, à 11:47, Upayavira a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> ...That's what I mean by "semi-automatic", people have to explicitely
>> agree before the download proceeds.
>
> I find that surprising - given the current ambiguity with 'linking' to
> code in Java, there is a danger that you taint yourself simply by
> having import statements in your code.
>
> In that case, a build time disclaimer doesn't help you at all...

> Secondly, using this technique makes something of a farce of the ASL,
> IMO. If your ASL licenced code won't work at all without some
> incompatibly licenced code, how can you _honestly_ argue that your
> code is ASL licensed?...

I see what you mean - it is indeed weird.

> ...But, this is something that I should, if I feel so inclined, take
> up with the HiveMind folks, not yourself, as, if they resolved their
> issue, yours would be resolved too...

Yes, but in fact I have maybe jumped to conclusions in thinking that
Hivemind depends on code that we couldn't redistribute. It might be
that they just use the ibiblio downloads for convenience, I'll have to
check this.

>> ...Sure, hence my intention to mimick what hivemind does and not put
>> the libraries that it requires in SVN.
>
> But we'd be putting code that 'links' to it, which is just as
> dangerous (at least until the board makes any statements to the
> contrary)...

Ok, I'll make sure the code that I put in the whiteboard doesn't
contain import statements for non-ASF stuff.

If there's a problem inside Hivemind (but I have no reason to think
there is one), it won't be "imported" in our SVN. The Hivemind jars
themselves are on ibiblio, so I can get them there as well.

-Bertrand