cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:56:33 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Do we need to include a libary to achieve a better L&F? What is the
> current way in the Java world? If we do, we need to make sure that we
> choose one that is licenced in a compatible way to ASL. Thus, [2], which
> is LGPL, is not compatible. I know JGoodies is BSD, but don't know if it
> is any good.
>
> Any Java Swing gurus here who can give a little guidance?

IMHO, if a GUI feels ugly, the first thing to do is to rethink the
layout. From teh screenshots I saw here it's not qhat I would call a
"standard" layout.

Then set the look and feel of the native platform (please no metal), add
icons, set the spacing between components, use SwingWorker to manage
long-running actions... and thing will start to look nice.

Other things can be done like setting rollover images for buttons, using
more advanced components for some parts of the UI (swinglabs and
l2fprod), using progress bars and statusbar for more info to the user,
add a splash, tweak font, etc.

Only *then* one can think of changing the l&f, but usually it's not needed.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -