cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Arje Cahn" <a.c...@hippo.nl>
Subject [GT2005] Cocoon GT Talks!
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 05:07:36 GMT
Hi everyone,

This is the list of proposed talks for the upcoming CocoonGT, ordered by
date received. 14 in total, and there's only place for 8! I'd like to put the
program online by friday afternoon, to make sure people have enough
time to sign up for the event.
Could everyone who feels the need to do so please state his opinion!?
I don't know what would be the smartest way of doing this...
But any feedback would be very well appreciated!
Also see my notes below..

Thanks and hope to see you all in october,
Arjé

------------ PROPOSALS --------------

01 - Torsten Schlabach:
	"All about URIs or: Find your sources
	(protocols from file:// to jcr:// and beyond)"

	Any Cocoon pipeline starts with a generator that is getting stuff from
	somehere that will be augmented and eventually rendered further down the
	road. The underlying Avalon framework in Cocoon allows the use of a
	number of pseudo-protocols to define from where a Geneator (or also a
	transformer) should read its byte input stream.
	In the first place, proper use of these protocols can make sitemaps much
	more readable and provides abstraction from specific installation
	deteails such as file system paths. But there are also protocols that
	allow Cocoon to directly access content from basically anwhere and not
	just the filesystem.

02 - Carsten Ziegeler
	"Past, Present and Future of the Cocoon Portal"

	This talk gives an overview of the Cocoon portal solution. The portal is
	based on Apache Cocoon to benefit from the advantages of Cocoon when it
	comes to integrating different data sources and providing the
	information to different devices in different formats. This session
	introduces the basic concepts behind the portal and how to build a
	portal application. Learn how the portal changed through time and what
	the future might bring.

03 - Torsten Curdt
	"Rapid application development with cocoon - javaflow and the
	compiling class loader"

	The session would be probably be more for a slightly advanced
	audience. I could talk about how to use the auto-reloading and
	javaflow with its current limitations.

04 - Andrew Savory
	"Simplifying Cocoon"

	New frameworks such as Ruby on Rails are teaching the old dogs some
	new tricks. With the maxims of "write less code", "don't repeat
	yourself" and "convention over configuration", programming has become
	fun again. What can the Cocoon framework learn from this?

	Consider the lilies: most Java/XML developers fight with
	configuration and project building tools, and while they do XML
	situps, our Rails colleagues utter nice Zen-like 'umms' as their
	framework gently guesses at their thoughts.

	This session will point out the ways in which we can learn from our
	competitors and make life easier for our users. It will also
	introduce Racoon: all the fun of Rails, on Cocoon.

05 - Daniel Fagerström
	"Cocoon Blocks"

	The Cocoon community is working hard on the next generation of Cocoon.
	The most important improvement is that most of the functionality will be
	packaged in so called blocks. The blocks architecture is built on the
	application framework OSGi, which also is used as the basis for the
	plugin architecture in Eclipse 3. A block can contain libraries and
	resources. At a higher level, blocks can contain reusable components. It
	will be possible to choose what component framework to use for each
	block, so that one block can contain e.g. Spring managed components and
	another Pico managed ones, that can cooperate seamlessly. What is maybe
	most exciting is that a block can contain a whole extensible web
	application. This will lead to a new level of application reuse. An
	application can be built by extending an application block and by just
	overriding the resources that needs to be modified. This is analogous to
	extension in object oriented languages. The blocks based Cocoon will put
	an end of todays huge download, you just download a small Cocoon core
	and use a deployment tool to download, configure and install the blocks
	that your application happens to need. In the talk the new architecture
	will be described and examples will be given on how applications can be
	devloped with the new tools.

06 - Sylvain Wallez
	"Something about AJAX"

	([AC] Sylvain hasn't completed his proposal, yet. But here are some
	promising quotes:)

	"I may help by talking about some of my favorite subjects. One that comes
	to mind is Ajax in Cocoon."
	"Actually, this may force me to actually implement some things I have in
	mind, the main one being replacing the current client-side JS I wrote to
	handle Ajax request by Prototype and Scriptaculous, the JS library
	used in Ruby on Rails. Even more fun!"

07 - Bertrand Delacretaz
	"Cocoon Bricks: best practices by example"

	The "Cocoon Bricks" example application demonstrates all the essential
	aspects of a typical Cocoon-based web application: java components
	management at the application level, database access using
	object-relational mappings, and of course the Power Trio: Pipelines,
	Flowscript and Cocoon Forms, all tied together in a consistent whole.

	The application, which will be available online in source form,
	contains a minimal amount of code, structured and written to be easy to
	understand. External libraries include Hivemind for component
	management, OJB for database access and Derby as the database, all
	easily replaceable with equivalents if desired.

	We will study code snippets of all the important parts, from the build
	system to the component interactions and final application stages.

	This talk is open to Cocoon beginners, although a basic understanding
	of the main Cocoon concepts (sitemaps, flowscript, pipelines, as
	presented in the Supersonic Tour) will help in getting the most from
	it.

08 - Alfred Nathaniel
	"XSP Tips and Traps"

	Although XSP is no longer considered a core technology by the Cocoon
	avantgarde, it is still a powerful tool for generating dynamic webpages.
	Its stability, robustness, and similarity to the well-known ASP/JSP
	concepts makes it a good fit for moving an established team from
	another framework to Cocoon.
	The talk draws from three years of XSP experience and wants to warn of
	common pitfalls and point to less known details of XSP and logicsheet
	processing. Knowledge of Java, XSLT, and Cocoon pipelines are assumed.

09 - Andrew Savory / Massimo Sonego
	"What we get up to with Cocoon"

	I've been talking with Massimo at Otego about a talk we were
	considering doing together, but we're wondering if it might fit a
	"lightning talks" session rather than a full-size session. Are there
	any plans to do shorter talks?

	We were thinking it might be fun to do some quick "what we get up to
	with Cocoon" examples, more from a newbie/business user perspective
	than a techie perspective, and I'm sure a few others would be able to
	join in, too.

10 - Michael Wechner
	"What Daisy, Hippo and Lenya can learn from each other!"

	Instead of doing a shootout, let's discuss and focuse on
	where the various Cocoon based CMS can learn from each other
	and maybe even collaborate ...
	PROPOSED SPEAKERS:
	Steven Noels (haven't asked him yet ;-)
	Arje Cahn (haven't asked him yet ;-)
	Michael Wechner (he won't be on vacation this year ;-)

11 - Max Pfingsthorn
	"CForms libraries: How Cocoon forms libraries make your life easier"

	([AC] Max hasn't finished his proposal yet, since he's buried himself
	in GSOC code, but he'd like to do a short talk on what he did, possibly
	combined with Sylvain's AJAX talk)

12 - Lars Huttar
	"Sitemap Browser: Using Cocoon to Explore Cocoon Sitemaps"

	A simple Cocoon sitemap can be clean and elegant. But
	as pipelines aggregate calls to other pipelines, and the number of
	pipelines increases, a sitemap can become difficult to follow. Sitemap
	Browser (SB) addresses this problem by visualizing a sitemap as an HTML
	document, displaying each pipeline next to the pipeline(s) it calls, and
	by hyperlinking related pipelines to each other for easy navigation. SB
	works to some degree on unmodified sitemaps but works better if you add
	sb:* markup to help handle the harder cases. SB can also be a convenient
	aid in unit testing, as a framework for linking to a sample invocation
	of each pipeline.

13 - Jack Ivers / Joh Berry / Scott Roth / Vadim Gritsenko
	"Performance / XSLT processors running with Cocoon"

	The folks here at Agile (Jack Ivers, Joh Berry, Scott Roth,
	Vadim Gritsenko) did a fairly in-depth analysis of XSLT processors running
	with Cocoon, looking at performance and memory consumption.  Not
	completely scientific but we generated more information than we have been
	able to find elsewhere.  We specifically looked at Xalan and Saxon, had
	Gregor but never completed testing with it. Anyway, if there was strong
	interest in this getting presented, we are willing to polish up our work
	and also try to get a Gregor test in.

14 - Nico Verwer
	"Performance / A case with very big XML documents (100's of megs)"

------------ /PROPOSALS --------------

I was thinking of combining Sylvain's Ajax talk (30 mins) with Max' CForms libraries talk
(15 mins). This would then be a kind of a "what's new in CForms" presentation (that's what
Sylvain and I discussed).

Also, I was hoping to combine talk 13 (XSLT performance) and 14 (big documents) combined with
possibly a third performance talk from Pier into a "Performance track: hints, tips and guidelines!"

I'm a little bit in a hurry because I want to give people the opportunity to see what the
program will be when they start signing up for the event. However, he list above should make
clear that whatever 8 options we choose, it will be worth travelling to Amsterdam anyway!
;-P

----

Thanks

Arjé Cahn