cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bricks example app in our whiteboard, WDYT?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:39:57 GMT
Le 19 sept. 05, à 11:27, Upayavira a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> ...The app uses all ASF components: Hivemind, OJB and Derby, so
>> licenses are clean (some non-ASL things will be downloaded from
>> ibiblio at build time, with an appropriate warning).
>
> What non-ASL things?

Those that hivemind requires, and which it downloads in the same way
already.

Actually I'm not even sure  if any of these dependencies have licenses
that we couldn't distribute, I was thinking about javassist but I just
checked and it's MPL/LGPL dual-license
(http://www.jboss.org/products/javassist).

But I think I'm going to do as hivemind does and download these things
at build time for convenience and to avoid any legal problems.

> ...I don't believe we're yet in a position to supply software which
> downloads non-ASF components from elsewhere...

We have a few cases already (mail block for example) where users must
download non-ASL stuff themselves, so what's the problem with making
this semi-automatic, as long as we don't distribute these things
ourselves?

This is what hivemind does (http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/), but
with a very prominent warning at build time: a disclaimer is displayed
and the build only continues if you type the word "continue". That's
what I mean by "semi-automatic", people have to explicitely agree
before the download proceeds.

IMHO this is in line with our current policies, don't you think so?

>  ...Having said that, putting something into SVN isn't strictly
> "releasing" software, but we do need to be aware of what we're putting
> in....

Sure, hence my intention to mimick what hivemind does and not put the
libraries that it requires in SVN.

> ...I am keen to see stuff put onto the whiteboard - I'm curious to see
> where it takes us from here...

Thanks, so am I of course ;-)

-Bertrand