cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Schlabach" <tschlab...@apache.org>
Subject SQLTransformer
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:07:30 GMT
Hi all,

I have done some work with and on SQLTransformer recently and came across
one fundamental question, that I would appreciate some views on.

Today, the SQL transformer will generate XML using field names in the
result set as XML tages, i.e. a result set might look like this:

<rowset>
  <row>
    <lastname>Schlabach</name>
    <firstname>Torsten</torsten>
  </row>
</rowset>

In situations, where you would want to build a more generic data browsing
application that makes use of the database metadata to extract information
about the data (in ohther words: you don't know the fieldnames upfront) it
would be much cleaner if the XML generated would read:

<rowset>
  <row>
    <column name="lastname">Schlabach</column>
    <column name="firstname">Torsten</column>
  </row>
</rowset>

as if would allow for a generic XSLT which for example renders the rowset
into an HTML table.

WDYT?

Regards,
Torsten