cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: New Ajax block, CForms autocompletion suggestion-lists
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:26:25 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Cool !
> As you know, I have some code to contribute that uses the same
> BrowserUpdate mechanism as you use in CForms. An existing
> TimedBrowserUpdater, that periodically updates parts of the page
> using a Timer, and (not written yet) LinkedBrowserUpdater, which will
> be triggered by a link instead of a timer.
> Now you have made an AJAX Block, it looks like the right place to put
> it.
> .... but I do not want to get in your way .... I get the feeling that
> you are in the process of moving from the original ajax libraries
> used by CForms to the Scriptaculous (etc.) libraries

Exactly. Scriptaculous and Prototype give way more features and are
heavily tested in a number of environments and therefore have solved
many cross-browser issues. When I wrote the initial Ajax stuff, 2/3 of
the time was spent solving such issues and I will be happy to be
relieved of them :-)

> .... and I do  not want to get in the way by adding libs that you are
> moving away from.
> My stuff uses a slightly adjusted copy of the BrowserUpdater and
> (untouched)DOMUtils Objects from cforms.js.
> Are you planning on moving those to the Ajax block? Are you planning
> on replacing them with code from the new libraries?

My impression is that Scriptaculous (or the underlying Prototype)
provides a similar service. Would you please have a look at
Ajax.PeriodicUpdater [1] and tell us how it overlaps with your stuff?