cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject OSGi Bundles, Re: svn commit: r292305
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:44:59 GMT
danielf@apache.org wrote:
> Moving Core and Cocoon creation to from osgi-servlet to core
> but the osgi-servlet doesn't use them yet.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me this is move in wrong direction. My thought
process is...

In order to create functioning Core, you need to have several things:

   * Several configuration parameters (currently in web.xml or properties),
     such as where your work directory is.

   * cocoon.xconf configuration file

   * logkit.xconf configuration file (or log4j - whatever)

cocoon bundle does not have any of this, and should not have any of this, as it
should contain only things which can be shared among any applications - and all
these things are application specific.

All these things are located in the cocoon_webapp bundle - which is a root of an
application. So it makes sense to place activator and create Core within
cocoon_webapp bundle itself, and make it dependent on cocoon bundle. This also
opens up possibility of deploying multiple applications within single OSGi
container.

Then, cocoon_servlet or cocoon_cli bundles can access (one of) cocoon_webapp
bundles for request processing. wdyt?

Vadim