cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Are svn externals a good idea?
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:44:30 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ok. So do you have something better, or another way to organize the
> svn repository that would avoid to maintain parallel branches [1] of
> blocks.
>
> Sylvain

My two cents.

In my experience it is awfully hard to avoid maintaining parallel
branches no matter what the source control system.  This is simply
because changes get introduced that are incompatible with maintaining
backward compatibility. Now, a lot of the blocks are fairly static and
might only get a few minor tweaks here or there, while others (which are
precisely the ones you want to only have a single branch of) are
constantly in a state of flux.  So you have a choice, you can tell users
of a block that they shouldn't use it in a production environment
because you want the freedom to change it (a really bad idea in my
opinion) or you can maintain parallel branches so that users can be
provided a measure of stability.

Ralph