cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [RT] Are svn externals a good idea?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:14:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>I'm just wondering if svn externals are a good idea wrt to versioning.

Ahem... as we decided to have the template block in 2.1 as well, I would
like to add one more svn external :-/

Now there may be a solution to this issue, as svn properties are
versioned, and a svn:externals can hold a revision number [1] (i.e.
sticky tags in CVS jargon)

So we can decide that all svn:externals in BRANCH_2_1_X/src/blocks
*must* have a revision number. That way, checking out a particular
revision of the 2.1 branch checkouts the external revisions that were
set on that particular revision.

"Porting" modifications made in trunk to 2.1 then consists in updating
svn:externals. This is less transparent than the current scheme, but
allows to associate revisions of externals to revisions of the main
source tree.

I don't know however what happens if we commit changes to a svn:external
with a sticky tag. Does it create a branch? If yes, then that may be a