cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:33:58 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:
>>
>>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>> (don't forget command line, portlet, or any other 3rd party
>> environments too)
>>
>> Yes, and I've not seen how it can be otherwise (i understand that it's
>> possible to use current osgi http service for an R&D process, i'm
>> mostly talking about production deployments).
>
> The OSGi HttpService is an API, there are several implementations of the
> service, one is based on Jetty. Have you found any limitations in the
> OSGi HttpService API that makes it unsutable for production environments?

Deployment environments I worked with so far include WebSphere, WebLogic, and
Tomcat. As long as these environments supported, I'm Ok. If not, sooner or later
I'll have to make sure that they are.

>>> You start a framework, you start a servlet container bundle, then you
>>> start your servlet bundle, all within the OSGi framework.
>>
>> Replace 'you' with 'program', name this program CocoonOSGiServlet, and
>> we have something working. No need for servlet & servlet container
>> bundle, though. CocoonOSGiServlet will create Environment, and pass it
>> on to the TreeProcessor as usual,
>
> Will it? This is not the way we have implemented it.

I was not implying it's currently done this way.

> Vadim, I and others have spent a huge effort in the current design and
> implementation. All important design questions and decisions have been
> documented at the mail list and been approved explicitly by some people
> and by lazy consensus by the rest of you. I think it is time that you do
> your homework

I tried.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112177131522853
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=112227711007436

   <quote>
     smooth migration path: you could simply use your old
     applications as they are for 2.1.x without using bundles/blocks
     and they would simply still work (with all the disadvantages of
     course)
   </quote>

and I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

<snip/>

> This is open source you are not geting what you require, you get what
> you implement.

:-)

> Yes, I agree that an embeding servlet might be good for marketing and
> that it obviously seem to be central in the way you build things. But
> subtilities in servlet containers is not my area of speciality so I'm
> not able to take care of that area. If you find it important, you and
> others that find it important have to take care of it.

I'm sorry I lack time atm to join you or follow all discussions, but if I to use
Cocoon 2.2, I will have to implement the above - so yes, it will be eventually
taken care of.

Vadim