cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:16:18 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> This may be the way used my most Cocoon users at the moment, yes.
> However, many Cocoon users just want to start Cocoon, they're not fussed
> about a servlet container, that's just a complication. For those, the
> OSGi approach will work.
>
> For the more aware, and perhaps constrained (e.g. by corporate
> requirements for a specific servlet container), will require the ability
> to run within a container.
>
> To do it the other way brings up some issues that will need to be
> resolved. We will need to write a servlet that will defer requests to
> the OSGi framework.

Now, it sounds much cooler to just start up Cocoon (starting OSGi with
Cocoon inside), but imho we'll get into serious acceptance problems if
we start marketing that this is the "official Cocoon way we recommend".
Try to tell some administrator that besides an Apache Server, some Java
based Servlet engine, there will be a third server (Cocoon/OSGi) to
maintain :) The answer will be in most cases "No way" :(

So, I think, yes, we should provide both ways but for now we should do
more "marketing" for the usual servlet way than for Cocoon being a server.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/