cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:42:36 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>> Has it been sorted out how OSGi platform will be positioned in
>>> relation to the Cocoon Servlet?? I.e. Is Cocoon a plain servlet
>>> capable of running in the OSGi standard HttpService? Is OSGi runtime
>>> platform running embedded inside the CocoonServlet? Both? Other?
>>>
>>> If OSGi is embedded in the Servlet, it seems 'difficult' to provide a
>>> bridge between the outer servlet container and the OSGi HttpService.
>>> Does the servlet spec even allow runtime access to configuration and
>>> management yet (have not looked at it since 2.1 or something)?
>>> Personally, I don't care if Cocoon would be stand-alone, but I think
>>> a lot of people would call it regression and get upset ;o)
>

> All IMHO:
>
>> Well, we have briefly talked about the fact that we need to support
>> both scenarios. We need to be able to run the Cocoon servlet within an
>> OSGi framework, and this will probably be the default option, and we also
>

> I can not imagine who or in what environment will ever run this, and why.

You're saying that, as far as you're concerned, Cocoon should _just_ be
a servlet, and OSGi should be embedded and invisible?

Well, that's not the way that OSGi works. You start a framework, you
start a servlet container bundle, then you start your servlet bundle,
all within the OSGi framework.

>> need to support running an OSGi framework within a servlet (and a
>> Cocoon servlet within that OSGi framework), for those that _must_ run
>> Cocoon in a servlet container, such as JBoss, etc.
>
> This seems to me like the option used by most Cocoon users. IMHO, for an
> average Cocoon user it should not even matter whether you buried OSGi
> somewhere inside Cocoon or not.

This may be the way used my most Cocoon users at the moment, yes.
However, many Cocoon users just want to start Cocoon, they're not fussed
about a servlet container, that's just a complication. For those, the
OSGi approach will work.

For the more aware, and perhaps constrained (e.g. by corporate
requirements for a specific servlet container), will require the ability
to run within a container.

To do it the other way brings up some issues that will need to be
resolved. We will need to write a servlet that will defer requests to
the OSGi framework.

Clearer?

Upayavira