cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:29:21 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> On Monday 26 September 2005 04:20, Upayavira wrote:
>>
>>> Surely, if, in an OSGi scenario, if a block needs a servlet, it should
>>> register it directly with the OSGi servlet container service, rather
>>> than messing with Cocoon's web.xml?
>>

>> Has it been sorted out how OSGi platform will be positioned in
>> relation to the Cocoon Servlet?? I.e. Is Cocoon a plain servlet
>> capable of running in the OSGi standard HttpService? Is OSGi runtime
>> platform running embedded inside the CocoonServlet? Both? Other?
>>
>> If OSGi is embedded in the Servlet, it seems 'difficult' to provide a
>> bridge between the outer servlet container and the OSGi HttpService.
>> Does the servlet spec even allow runtime access to configuration and
>> management yet (have not looked at it since 2.1 or something)?
>> Personally, I don't care if Cocoon would be stand-alone, but I think
>> a lot of people would call it regression and get upset ;o)
>

> Well, we have briefly talked about the fact that we need to support
> both scenarios. We need to be able to run the Cocoon servlet within an
> OSGi framework, and this will probably be the default option, and we
> also need to support running an OSGi framework within a servlet (and a
> Cocoon servlet within that OSGi framework), for those that _must_ run
> Cocoon in a servlet container, such as JBoss, etc.

Yes, we probably have to support running Cocoon within a servlet in the
future as wee (although I don't care for it). As there not is any
standard for APIs for starting an OSGi framework, there is not much use
to work on this until we have upgraded to an R4 framework (as we,
depending on licence and lack of features not can release Cocoon with R3).

/Daniel