cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Planning
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:45:42 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 24.09.2005 13:17, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> WDYT?
>

> What's the actual problem you want to solve?

There are a lot of large and small items to do to get working real
blocks. I think it would be more practical to gather these in Bugzilla
as soon as I find time to do it.

My rambling about releases sime time ago
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111675871100002&r=1&w=2 inspired
Reinhard to stop using Bugzilla for planning
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111676672214067&w=2. So
as I'm going to start using Bugzilla for planning it seemed appropriate
to say something about my view of planning, and to discuss how to plan
in an efficient way if anybody felt like it.

> Ok, we tried to use Bugzilla as project management tool and it did not
> really get started. But do we really have problems with project
> management?

I don't think we have a general problem with project management.

For the real blocks I would like to get more people involved. The main
hinderance for people to work on it is probably lack of time and/or
interest. But for some people the problem might be that it seem rather
complicated and that it is not that easy to see what one can do. With a
Bugzilla item list there will be a number of "low hanging fruits" as
Jorg stated it, that is easy to start to work on without having to learn
all the involved technologies first.

> Do we need rock-solid project plans?

No. OTH if we already have anylized a problem and found a design it save
time later if we codify it in tasks.

> Starting with unrealistic goals and later adapting them worked not
> that bad IMO.

Absolutely.

/Daniel