cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SAXException weirdness (was Re: [2.1.8-dev] Real exception is not logged anymore)
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:50:18 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ok, I hopefully fixed it.
>
> The problems was because of SAXException's buggy exception chaining (or
> at least not JDK 1.4 compatible) :
> - it can wrap a parent exception but doesn't define a getCause() method
> that's used by JDK 1.4 to find parent exceptions
> - it doesn't call its parent's printStacktrace() although it calls its
> parent's getMessage().
>
> What happened is that when a SAXException was logged, the parent's
> stacktrace wasn't logged, and with the new location handling stuff, the
> useful information is there.
>
> I fixed this by ensuring in CocoonLogFormatter that the full exception
> list is properly chained and this solves the problem.
>
> Now I don't understand how we were able to print parent stack traces
> before...

Thanks Sylvain for fixing this - now it works for me as well.
But, is it correct that it now only works if I'm using LogKit for
logging with the CocoonLogFormatter? What happens if I'm using log4j or
something else? We should really make it work for all logging systems.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/