cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Are svn externals a good idea?
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:06:58 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
> We should only use externals to projects with own release cycles. The
> idea of breaking out the blocks from trunk was to start considering them
> as separate projects with separate release cycles.
Yeah, agreed - but this doesn't work for 2.1.x wrt forms. So when doing
the release, the release manager has take care of this. Sigh :)

> The when we do a "compound" release of Cocoon core together with all
> blocks, all the externals in the taged compound release should point to
> tagged releases of the blocks.
>
> This certainly isn't our current practice. But I think we need to start
> considering the blocks like separate projects sooner rather than later.
> Its time that we stop thinking about Cocoon as one huge beast where
> everything is connected to everything else. First it isn't, and second
> it doesn't scale at all.
Big +1, I said it several times and just for the record I repeat it:
let's remove all blocks from 2.2 now and start treat them as separate
projects. We will never come to a build system for real blocks if we
still treat Cocoon as one monolithic block.

> Thinking more about it: with the wild card includes for configurations
> and sitemaps, is there still anything that prevent us from having binary
> releases?
Patching web.xml is the only thing which comes to my mind. The patching
is need for
some rare blocks that add own servlets or servlet filters to web.xml.
Apart from that, I think nothing prevents us.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/